The bourgeois neighborhood called Hansa Viertel in Berlin, its first version was built in 1874 by a Hamburg real estate development firm. Hence the name, in homage to the Hanseatic city of Hamburg, also in Germany and, therefore, the streets of the neighborhood are named after places, neighborhoods, or streets of Hamburg
After the Second World War and the almost total destruction of the buildings, the neighborhood was rebuilt and the old bourgeois houses of industrialists and intellectuals from the 19th century were replaced by housing for social use, designed under international modernist principles.
As obras deveriam terminar em 1957 e fazer parte da grande Exposição Internacional da Construção, INTERBAU, que aconteceria de 6 de julho a 29 de Setembro daquele ano. E assim foi, com exceção de algumas obras, que não conseguiram concluir até esta data, inauguraram a maioria dos edifícios. Estes foram visitados por pessoas de muitas partes do mundo, que vinham para ver as obras dos arquitetos modernistas mais famosos daquela época: Alvar Aalto, Walter Gropius, Oscar Niemeyer, Pierre Vago e muitos outros.
The neighborhood strictly followed the principles of the Charter of Athens and aimed to become a prototype, a model to be followed by the architecture that would be produced during the reconstruction of Berlin in the post-war period.